In my last post I talked a little about how do I handle my cheat meals and, on this post I wanted to tell you how do I stay healthy being a teen. Many of my friends tell me they want to eat better and be more active, but they always give me a hundred reasons why they cant:
- My mom/dad will not buy me healthy food.
- I dont know how to eat healthy, I dont cook.
- I cant avoid eating junk food.
- I love sweets too much.
- Im too tired from school to exercise.
- I dont like veggies.
- I get bored of the gym too fast.
To name a few, and its ok, its not easy sometimes. What I always tell them is, if you really want it you can do it, so all I can say is:
- I know your are still depending on your parent’s money, but why cant you buy a bag of apples rather than a bag of cookies?, fruits and veggies are cheaper than chips, cookies, etc.
- You dont need to be a Top Chef to make a salad, there are plenty of easy recipes on the internet, you can also tell your mom, or the person who cooks at home, the benefits of cooking with olive oil rather than vegetable oil.
- Im a huge fan of pizza and hamburgers so I know, believe me I KNOW its not easy to see your friends eating a big slice of pepperoni pizza and you’re there eating a salad. Its all about willpower and commitment, if you want that dream body you’ll have to work hard for it, and if I have to avoid fast food in order to have my abs, I WILL DO IT. Also, being healthy doesnt mean you are never going to eat a french frie in your life, you can treat yourself once or twice a week if you’ve been eating good the other days.
- I love chocolate too, and as I said before, its all about willpower and commitment. When I’m craving a piece of chocolate I go and eat a piece of dark chocolate rather than milk chocolate, you dont need to be so strict, once or twice a week its ok. Dont think it’s all about broccoli and grapes.
- I go to school too, I know sometimes the last thing you are thinking of after having 3 tests, 5 projects and a million homeworks, its going to the gym, but you can always exercise at home. There are plenty of workouts you can do at home (if you want me to post some home workouts, comment below).
- I wasn’t a big fan of veggies either, but through time I learned how to eat them. If you dont like raw you cant always cook them, If you dont like them without dressing there are many healthy dressings you can prepare (you can mix any yogurt of your choice,I havent tried with greek yogurth, 1 lemon, salt and pepper).
- If you dont like going to the gym or exercising at home its not effective for you, you can look for any sport or maybe crossfit, any activity that get you out of the couch.
Its always good to see an specialist, I used to go to a nutrionist once every 2 weeks, and you can look for information over the internet, we spend most of our time online so why cant you look for something that will be good for you and your health.
If you have any questions or advice please comment below. Im 16, I know Im not a nutritionist (soon I will be), but these are some advices I can give you.
You dont need to be a gym addict or eat carrots 24/7, you can start with avoiding sodas, fast foods, some sweets, fried food, etc. You will see changes, you will feel more energetic and with the time you will miss working out. Remember, you are a teen, you dont need to worry about it that much, enjoy your life and be happy because life is meant to be enjoyed not planned, take care of yourself always but be happy while doing it. <– this is something I’m always trying to remember.